Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter preschool!





 I've been reading all sorts of posts from the Southwestern states about snow falls and fun, and thought I'd add my two cents as well.  Up here in south central BC, it's pretty common to get snow, however 8+ inches in one night is still pretty cool!


We spent time outside every day this week!  Making snow angels, sledding, snowmen, the whole kit and caboodle.   So much fun!


I love the weather where it's too cold for snow to melt, but warm enough that kids still have fun outside!  All too often I'll bundle us all up only to stay out for fifteen minutes because little toes, cheeks and fingers just can't hack -15 C or colder.  One happy little boy spent most of his time eating the fresh snow, however I managed to get a great smile above!


Inside we've been doing about 45 minutes of "preschool" aka "games" 3 or 4 times a week while Oliver naps.  There are a few days when we're not home while Oliver naps and on Sundays I let him watch a movie while I mop the floors and do a bit of blogging.   Silas has been so into games lately and I capitalized on it that over Christmas.  Aunties and Grami both accommodated (as did Santa!) and gave him different games as gifts this past Christmas.  He adores this Busy Bugs set from Discovery Toys.  We sort them into colours, then count them, then complete a few pattern cards each day during the week these are out.


Usborne Books Farmyard Tales Alphabet Lotto is back!  He's gotten a little rusty on his letters, so I'm glad he's stoked about this game again.  I had it out just before Christmas and it wasn't really even looked at.  We don't actually play Lotto.  Silas prefers to choose a letter tile, then choose a picture tile that starts with the chosen letter.  Whatever works!


I've mostly stopped playing in our bedroom for a few reasons.  First, it's kind of cool in there. Secondly, it's right next to Oliver's bedroom and I feel like I'm constantly telling Silas "Shhhh, Ollie's sleeping".  And finally, I can set Silas up at his little table for any pencil and paper type activities.  He doesn't rest his arm or hand on the table while he draws or writes and I setting him up in the correct position will help this.  Here he's using Kunmon's My First Book of Tracing book.  He's almost done, Kumon's My Book of Easy Mazes is waiting for him!



One other game Silas received over Christmas was ABSeas, also from Discovery Toys.  It's a magnetic fishing game and each sea creature you catch has a letter on it, to match on your "aquarium" board.  I suppose  you're supposed to try and get your aquarium filled up first, but we keep it pretty light and just put the fish wherever it fits, no matter who it belongs to.


This week is also our last week with our Christmas Sensory Bin, new one coming up next week!  I think the boys are really going to enjoy it!  I know they enjoyed this one, especially when the excitement of Christmas was still building.  It consists mostly of packing peanuts, scraps of wrapping paper, little Santa and snowmen erasers, pompoms in various sizes and Christmas colours, some boys and bits of dollar store ornaments like the giant light bulb Silas has in his hand and the snowflake in Oliver's hand.  I bring it out a few time a week for them to play with while I'm cooking supper.

This post is linked to Homeschool Creations Preschool Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment