Monday, January 17, 2011

Mom's iPad - Corkulous



I love Corkulous.  Love it.  Can't live without it!  I'm a very visual person and adore how I can lay everything out, all tidy and lined up, and really see what the heck is going on in my life.  I use corkulous for many, many things, but first let me tell you how it works.  For those of you who don't know, it's basically a big electronic cork board.  You can create as many cork boards as you want, and you can put many things on each one, including post-it notes, slips of paper, checklists, pictures, contact information and even more corkboards (great for a sub-category loving mom like myself!).  You can rearrange everything as much as you want and just recently they've added a feature where you can email or export either a section of a board or an entire board in order to share what you've created.

Let me share some of the bulletin boards I've created in order to give you some ideas of how this app can be used:

My most often used is the board I call Home. This is where I set up to-do lists, daily routines (I'm a structure girl!), projects, ideas, and some-days for my house, as well as the odd picture of my family to keep me motivated.  I've got some sub-boards absolutely plastered with papers, all laid out just so.  This app is great for those of us who spend time trying get everything to line up and look nice - and for those of us who're just as happy sticking them up any ol' place!

I created a board labeled Christmas in November, and was tickled pink to have an excuse to use the lock that required a password to get into this board - and good thing I did as my teenager stumbled onto this board while exploring my ipad!  I had a sub-board for each of my children, as well as my husband and also kept an area on the main board for every other gift-recipient this year.   I kept a budget on each board, kept track of what I bought, where I got it, if it had arrived in the mail (I shop a lot online), and whether or not I wrapped it.  Additionally, I had a sub board to keep track of decorating, fun stuff to do as a family, and I had the days from about the 23rd to the 27th roughly scheduled so that it was easy to remember where to go and what to bring each day.  I used this board a LOT during the lead up to Christmas!

A third board I'll share with you is my work board.  With my friend and my sister I co-founded an organic produce delivery service.  This board is where I keep track of ideas for the monthly newsletter I write, hours I worked, credits and debits I have for purchases and supplies, and items I'd like to discuss in upcoming meetings.  Once again, the visual format is fantastic!  It's really just a glance and I can figure out if I have more debits than credits, which piece of information is gonna come together easily for this month's deadline, or how many dozen eggs a supplier has provided that month.

I personally love that I can move the little bits of paper, sticky notes and photos around the board at will, rearranging my day or priorities really easily, as well as editing any typing.  I think it's a cute touch that I can also use sticky note type paper in an array of colours and custom sized to fit your text.  Of course, one feature that always makes my toes curl on the iPad is the pinch zoom.  This one has it!  Yahoo!

In the latest update provided free of charge from Appigo, we were given the ability to email boards, as well as share them in itunes or hook up with your account in Todo (which I don't have, but have been considering - opinions?).  I've yet to figure this out.  At this point, I'm not sure if it's me, or if there's a glitch somewhere.  But I'm pretty sure it's me.  Someday it'll all fall into place, I'm sure.  In the meantime, I don't really need to email boards, right?

I'm really excited about the future of this app . . . there are hints and rumors all over about what's coming up.  I'm stoked to be able to get them free after buying this app for only $5.99!  For more information about this app, see their website or visit the app store.

No comments:

Post a Comment