Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Stay-At-Home Mom's IPad

I have an iPad - it was an early Christmas gift (Thank you Val and Gordie!).  They paid for half, I paid for half and I love it dearly.  LOVE IT!

Surprisingly, there's no "Home Management" app for stay at home (or otherwise) moms.  At least not that I could find.  There are plenty of home maintenance kind of reminder systems, but nothing for actually keeping everything else running smoothly.  I guess it's just not what people pictured for the iPad (haha)?  The main reason I wanted an iPad was to get the portability and simplicity of one of those home management notebook you read about all over the place, with the adaptability, tidiness and editing capabilities of a computer.

The world of apps has almost unending possibilities.  It's overwhelming how many apps there are.  Every time I was looking for an app that would do a particular thing, I went online and searched for recommendations from third parties.  Then I'd look up the apps recommended in the app store, read reviews, peruse its website.  Often I googled the nameof a particular app for more reviews and critiques online.  As someone who'd never even used itunes before, never mind a iphone or ipod (or even my own cell phone!), I wanted to make sure I was wasting my money and I was purchasing the right app for my needs and purpose.  I tried to google "mom's iPad apps" for some app recommendations that I might find useful, but really, there was no easy package recommended by some stay-at-home mom somewhere.  Weird.  So, like the little red hen, I did it myself.  It's still a process, I'm always on the look out for something useful, some way to improve what I'm doing and I know my ipad hasn't reached its full potential, but I am pleased with what I've got so far.

So stay tuned, one iPad app will make it's appearance each weekend!

4 comments:

  1. flylady.net is supposed to be working on a app that might be what you are looking for. Also my husband wants to start writing apps. Email me at cliffany.wiggs at gmail if you want to give me ideas for him on what you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm . . . interesting! I used to try and follow flylady but like my own system better now. Once my kids are older and I can string a few moments together I may join up with her again. I'd definitely be interesting in checking out her app though! Neat your hubby wants to write apps . . . I'll try and put something together for a request. It's hard to define exactly what I'm looking for lol! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use "Motivated Moms" app. Please Do NOT pay for the 2012 version!! Use the 2011 version for free. The date will be off but you will have a daily docket list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMgosh! I have been looking for this post (again) forever... I found it when I first got my iPad and I was trying to find a home management app. I have a Home Management Binder, which I spent f.o.r.e.v.e.r. making and I hardly ever use it :( Probably because I am always on my computer, and now my iPad. Sorry, anyway... I found an app that I wanted to share with you. It is pretty awesome (I think, I'm still working on getting it all set up) for menu planning and such. http://www.pepperplate.com/ and the best part... wait for it... IT'S FREE!! yay! life.

    ReplyDelete