Sunday, July 11, 2010

Where's the Ranch?

Looking back through some of my posts, I've noticed a distinct lack of outdoor pictures.  Considering we spend at least half of our day outside (gardening, feeding chickens, going for walks, playing in the river, and just plain hanging out) I find that odd.  So, in honour of the fact that we've FINALLY got some nice summer weather this week I've made it a personal mission to record a few more of our outdoor pursuits.  Here are some of my favorite shots:


Ranch kids practically grow up on a quad.  Seriously.  Oliver and Silas both began riding on them when they were newborns in a sling.  Heck, Silas was making midnight checks on the calves with dad, in a sling, on a quad.  Wow, that line was kind of Dr. Seus-ish, wasn't it? (Yes, Silas is sticking out his tongue in this picture.  That's just the way we roll around here!)




















An ancient tradition among ranching families is bringing refreshment out to those making hay in the hot, dry weather.  I've been bringing ice cream, popsicles and ice water out to my dad for as long as I can remember, and now Silas and Oliver are continuing the tradition.  Since getting out into the field almost always involves a bumpy walk or drive, we usually bring liquids out in a mason jar - just like the one above.


We've been spending a lot of time at the river in the evenings once the heat isn't quite so brutal.  We're all sweaty and sticky and grumpy at that point and it's the only way we can enjoy each other.  It's a great way to reconnect and cool down before tucking the little ones into bed.  I love living near water!  It shows off the seasons like nothing else, it draws wildlife, provides a place for activities and fun, and can have such a calm, hypnotizing effect for young and old alike.  And what's better for a little country boy like Silas?  A stick, some water, a hot day, and his family nearby.  What else could he ask for?! 


And where's Oliver you ask?  Good question!  He is getting SO FAST, scuttling around from sand, to puddles, to rocks, to river, to bushes, then back to sand.  I try and keep an eye on him and ensure he's safe, while still letting him be independent and follow his curiosity.  Sometimes I have to glance around quickly to locate him!  Can you spot him here?  Don't worry, the river shore is in plain view - it's just the rock, sand and bush "dunes" that provide a bit of cover for him to hide in!


Here's a parting shot of our barns.  You can only see the roof of the Old Barn tucked under the big Fir tree.  It was there when my great-grandad bought the place almost 100 years ago.  He built the red barn with his own two hands, his own two sons (my granpa and my great-uncle) and his own many trees cleared off the field I'm stranding in while taking this picture.  Int he background you can see the little community of Shulus, which we don't really have access to as there's no river over the bridge any more.  I used to work in a daycare there, though, and when the water was low enough I would just wade across the river for a nice ten minute walk.  I've taken a lot of ranch pictures over the years, and it seems like no matter what angle, or what season, they're all gorgeous!

1 comment:

  1. The refreshment tradition must be strong in our family, every time I see Dad haying I think "He needs a treat!" I love that Silas and Oliver get to do it now too. I'm sure Grandad does too!

    ReplyDelete