Thursday, July 1, 2010

What I'm Reading

I'm a book-aholic. I'm not ashamed of it, I'm proud to say it! I wish I had more time for books! I read in the bathtub, while I'm nursing babies, while I'm eating breakfast, while I'm folding laundry and while I'm washing dishes. How on earth do I manage those last two you ask? Using the greatest kitchen invention EVER! A cookbook holder! I have one similar to the one below and let me tell you: it's fantastic! A practically hands-free way to read!



So I have a book-holder book. But I also have a few bathroom books for reading while the kids are bathing (and I should be tidying or cleaning the bathroom but don't) or while I'm in the tub myself. I have a bedroom book. Theoretically I would be reading this one before bed, but most of the time I'm too tired, but I get through this one while nursing Oliver before bed or waiting for him to fall asleep at nap time. Those are the books that have a designated time and place for reading, and those tend to be the ones I get through from cover to cover. I always have a huge stack of books from the library - I don't buy books unless I've already read them and think they're worth reading over and over. I come across books online or hear about them from friends and check and see if my library has them. If they don't, I request an inter-library loan. I've had a lot of success using this system - it's pretty rare my library doesn't come through for me!

If I'm lucky, I at least get a chance to glance through all the library books before their due date to know if they're worth renewing and moving up to one of my designated reading spots. About half the time, the book isn't what I'm expecting or my interests have changed so I send them back (which is why I like to borrow before I buy lol!).

So, what's in my designated places right now? In the stand is "Have A New Husband by Friday" by Keven Leman. I don't like it. It's written by a man but it really seems to talk down to men - like dog training or something. And it makes a lot of assumptions about both men and women. I've been reading it for a few days now, but if it doesn't get better soon, I'll probably dump it. I'm not even sure why I decided to read this book, I kinda like the husband I got ;) !

In my bedroom is Susan Wise Bauer's "The History of the Medieval World". I've literally searched all my reading life (I know, I know, I'm a geek) for a comprehensive, fairly detailed account of world history that wasn't so dry and technical I gagged. This is it! It's easy to read and interesting, with lots of maps and timelines to help connect all sorts of dots and concepts. Isn't it amazing what was happening at the same time around the world? My library didn't have "The History of the Ancient World" but once I knew the series was a good one, I ordered it myself and I'll be reading it next. Can't wait! I've read a fair few of of Susan's books (The Well-Trained Mind, The Well Educated Mind and one of the Story of the World books for kids) and I've admired them all. Will keep an eye out to the third book in this history set.

And in the bathroom? I've just finished reading "Shame" by Jasvinder Sanghera. It's her true, personal account of her escape from forced marriage and subsequent family rejection. But get this: it took place in recent UK history! It was really shocking, but the way she turned it around in the end made it almost inspirational!

Also in there is a book called "The Story of Canada" by Janet Lunn and Christopher Moore. I was looking for something similar to the "Story of the World" series by Susan Wise Bauer I mentioned above with a Canadian focus and I think I found it! I plan on homeschooling my boys and this will make a great reference for early Canadian history. I didn't read it cover to cover, but I have scanned it thoroughly and know I will enjoy it!

I've found links to the good books below, check them out (of your library first lol?)!






No comments:

Post a Comment