Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tot School

Tot School

Summer has arrived, finally!  It's been hotter at 8 am the last few days than at noon any other day in the past month!  It's amazing how you forget how hot things can actually get!  We've been spending a lot of time at the river, in the sprinkler so not a lot of Tot School happened this week.  Additionally, it's Oliver's birthday on Tuesday, so we held the party on Saturday.  A great time was had by all - a post is forthcoming.  In the meantime, here's some of our Tot School activities for this week:


Since we didn't do a lot of formal activities, I thought I'd post some other pics.  We did do a little bit of baking - well, not baking since it didn't go in the oven.  We made an Indian bread to go along with our lentil and sweet potato stew at lunch one day.  He had a great time rolling the dough out flat, and Ollie ate dough pieces like a little bird.





Silas enjoyed the rice pouring more than the macaroni, possibly because I put in a funnel.  I left him for a few minutes while I put Oliver down for his morning nap and came back to an even bigger mess than is in the picture!  I'll have to figure out a better system, here!


He loved this game!  I made a "parking lot" with colours on which to park his cars - matching the colours of course.  We ended up finding a bunch more cars, making more parking spaces and parking the whole lot of them.  I'll have to remember to incorporate his cars into more advanced activities!



The only other Tot School thing we did was a page full of stickers. Silas can now peel most of them off himself as he's figured out that if you bend the page just right, a corner sticks up to grab.  He received some train and rainbow stickers for his birthday in April, so we used those and he was pretty darn proud.  He even hung it up on the fridge himself!





And we all enjoyed the bubbles, especially when combined with the trampoline!






Tiny Tot School


Life is school for little Ollie!  I was sorting out the cloth bags this week and Oliver loved this one from Toys R Us.  Here he is admiring it, signing "truck".








For more Tot School ideas check out 1+1+1=1!

6 comments:

  1. I love the parking lot for the cars! I will have to make something similar for my little man. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parking lot is a great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn! I love that parking lot color-car matching idea! I am going to bookmark this and definitely use it with the letter C!

    Thank you for your sweet comment. Sometimes I feel like I have 'lost my way' and wonder if I am even teaching her the letters at all with these activities. But like you- it is sometimes hard to get the little ones to do the cutting and pasting, etc. I just try to make it fun....and really- I do feel she is learning about the sounds that the letters make. After all- she's still just 2!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the trampoline is huge! lOOKS like a great week! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments! The parking lot idea, I believe, I got from my training as an early childhood educator. I know I used it in one of my practicums with kindergarten students learning in a language that was not their first. it's a great way to engage those little car lovers lol!

    Marla, I agree with you - 2 year olds don't need to know all their letters, they just need to know they're having fun playing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like great fun while learning!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete