Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oliver's First Birthday!


Our birthday story starts with an impromptu trip to Toys R Us in a neighboring city (our town's only toy place is Walmart which I try to avoid - I'm not comlpetely successful!).  There's something about stores completely dedicated to toys.  When I was little, I didn't even know such a thing existed, except in books or on TV!  I can wander Toys R Us happily for a long time - even better are little privately owned toy stores.  My goodness - I wish our little town could support a store full of unique toys!  I'm just not into "movie toys" put out by Disney.  Anyhow!  Silas went happily off to play with his Gramma while Oliver and I piled into my mom's van to shop. Strolling the aisles of a toy store without a little dictator (aka Silas) was heavenly, and Oliver helped pick out his gifts!


I had made a cake in a regular sized pan on Monday, then froze it for decorating later.  Scott took Silas riding on Friday morning, so I took advantage of the favorable mom to kid ratio and decorated it then.  I just cut it into train car sized pieces, iced them and added cookies and candies to look like wheels and different cargo. I'm not a professional cake decorator by any means, but we had a lot of fun making it,  and it turned out pretty good, I think.  Everyone loved it,especially Silas. He's already decided he would like a train cake for his birthday next year!


It was a hot day, and just as hot inside as out, so we gathered in the shade of our yard and enjoyed each other's company.  Here's Oliver with three sets of grandparents (one set are his great-grandparents!).  How lucky is he?


After a BBQ lunch, he blew out his candle (with much help from big brother!) and then we unwrapped his gifts.  He was spoiled, as usual!  With help from Carisa at 1+1+1=1 I'd compiled a wish list for Oliver's upcoming graduation from Tiny Tot school to regular Tot School and the grandparents came through, just as they always do!  He also got several tractors and trucks, of course, and he really enjoyed them too!


A little late due to technical (assembly!) difficulties, he also received this:


                                        

Both boys love it, and it's produced some challenges and opportunities  to continue learning about sharing and turn taking.  Here's one alternative Silas discovered:

                        

They both enjoy this - it makes them giggle, which in turn makes me laugh.  So a good time is had all around!

On a more serious note, I have to say that I cannot believe he's been with us a full year already!  This time last year, I was still grouchy because I woke up in the morning still pregnant, AGAIN!  My midwives fixed me up with this deadly, horrible, nauseating 'cocktail' and Oliver was born 59 minutes later.  Ahhhh, good times.  



Happy First Birthday Ollie!

No comments:

Post a Comment