Sunday, March 28, 2010

Springtime Gardener's Itch


Ooooh boy. I've got it bad! For whatever reason, I am just ITCHIN' to get in the garden! Why? Hard to say really. I certainly wasn't in there enough last year - the weeds were higher than my head in some spots. And we had some start up funding issues, with a lack of sprinklers and hoses. But with every year, as the fields take on that first hint of green under winter's brown, as the birds come back, and the front door can be left ajar without dire consequences, my thoughts turn to gardens. We had a week of phenomenal weather in the beginning of the month and I've been unable to temper my enthusiasm for spring planting. What to do?

I started some plants! I can get my garden going without even stepping outsdie (and a good thing, cause there is a mean wind today!) My laundry room has a great big window that faces southeast, so it gets a wonderful amount of sunshine. I happen to have a large table placed before that window - supposedly for folding and projects, but usually ends up storing junk. I cleared that sucker off, and voila! Mini-greenhouse a la Robyn! So far I've got pumpkins, butternut squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, cucumber, peanuts, and watermelon started. Because I used dirt out of an outodor planter I don't intend on using this summer they're already growing weeds (not an omen I hope!) but the pumpkins are already uncurling that first pale green leaf from the dirt! Silas is quite excited to help me plant this year, he recalls helping me plant the peas and beans outside last year, so the planting in the pots seems to make sense to him.

I've also sprouted yams for the first time this year. Or maybe they're sweet potatoes. The orange ones! They have a 100-day growing season, but I thought if I give them a good start in jars, maybe I can actually get my own if I'm lucky this fall with the weather.

I started out with some organic yams leftover from the organic produce delivery service in which I am a part owner. I saved seven just for this purpose. I inserted toothpicks around the middle, and set them pointy-side down in glass jars. Filled with water and waited. And waited. They're in the sunny spot in the laundry room and it wasn't until it really began to warm up that I noticed an obvious 'leafing' on the yams. Some of them, apparently have two pointy ends, because they've grown leaves under the water! However, they seem perfectly happy to be doing so, so I left them as they were. Once they've grown to about 6-8" I'll snap a few of them off and sprout them again in glass jars of water. Once they have a healthy looking root and it's warmer outside, I'll plant them in my garden under plastic and hope for the best. I'll also save some of the yams with sprouts attached to plant, just in case that's a better bet. I've have heard of doing it both ways, so I thought it best to give them both a try.

I live in a 3 or 4 hardiness zone (where 8 is the mildest and 1 is the harshest!) so things like watermelon don't always grow either. But I'm hoping too give them a strong start, then plant them when it's warmer with some plastic over to make a bit of an in-garden greenhouse. I'll let you know if it works out!

I cannot wait for good food again!

No comments:

Post a Comment