Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What I'm Reading

A whole month gone by!  I'be been through so many books this month, but here's what's on top of the pile right now:

In the bedroom:


My Opa gave this to me to read when I was about 15.  I don't remebmer if I got all the way through the book, I suspect not as it's quite hefty - although a really good read.  My Opa passed away this May and while visiting my Oma, I spotted in it on the shelf was inspired to reread it.  It's been well worth it so far!  This is such an interesting read.  Any time I go anywhere, be it around my ranch, to a neighbouring city or a whole other country, I always seem to catch myself looking around, wondering what it looked like while still inhabited by hunter/gatherer societies.  This book describes many, many aspects of that world and captures my imagination.  I love that it's a true story as well.





I'm reading this book in conjunction with Family Virtues Guide.  While I'd love to join a Unitarian Universalist congregation, as I've explained before, I'm just not up for the hour or more drive with two little ones.  So for now, I'm trying to intentionally go about instilling great morals, build up emotional knowledge and expose my boys to many, many different ways of caring and believing.  This two books will be my jumping off point.  I'm busy taking notes each evening as I don't own Building Moral Intelligence and I'll have to return it soon.  The suggestions seem very doable, and his reasoning makes sense to me.

I've recently finished reading Happy Housewives, a book I picked up on a whim at the library.  While I agree with the basic principle of "quit whining and enjoy this period in your life" and the question "Since when has caring for your home and children something to be less than proud of?" I felt like I was well out of her target audience.  I have never hired a housekeeper, chef, and nanny and spent the day shopping or at the spa nor does my clothing have to meet the "cute and tight" requirements.  I guess what I'm saying about this book is that I agree with what she's saying, I'm just in a whole different world than she is.  I like a lot of what she says, it just applies to me a little differently.  She has a real no-nonsense attitude that's just a little hard to take sometimes, and she makes a lot of assumptions about money availability, but underneath it all, there was some good advice that I've since applied to my own life.




And finally, the last book I'm reading (the one in the cook book rack by my sink!) is this one:



We've already pretty much decided on homeschooling, in fact, really we've started already, but I enjoy reading up on homeschooling and getting a bit more information from a new angle.  This book is really just confirming what I've learned and decided already.  Some really good, general information from a definite pro-homeschooling point of view.

And that's it!  I'll be back in few weeks or so with some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment