Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What I'm Reading: July

Do you have a favorite author?  Do you like every single book they ever wrote?  Can your favorite author write your best read ever, as well as books you don't bother finishing?  While I'm not the kind of girl to not finish a book (except in extremely rare circumstances - ahem, Skinny Bitch) I definitely believe that most authors, even my favorites, can write both extraordinary books that are almost impossible to put down as well as books that are readable, but get set aside easily when other things pop up (like folding laundry or shining the bathroom taps for example).  Diana Gabaldon, for me, is such an author.

Let me make this clear:  I adore Diana Gabaldon!  I recommend her first book, Outlander, more than any other book I know.  The third book in the series is also quite good.  The rest of them kind of blur together, possible because I've never reread them like the first and third.  And now I'm reading her latest publication, An Echo in the Bone.  It's one of those great books that cause dishes to pile up, clothes to grow mold in the washer and drifts of dirt and dog hair to gather in the corners!  I've been enjoying it a lot, to say the least, and read it every chance I get, then think about it when forced to put it down.  If you haven't read any of her books yet, I HIGHLY recommend you check out the first book and read on from there!  I admit, I was skeptical at first, as the plot involves time travel which did not appeal to me in the least, but one I began to read, I was completely hooked.  The author does incredibly thorough research and history comes alive and her characters and stories make me laugh out loud which is practically guaranteed to annoy your spouse while reading in bed!).

Honestly, now that I'm reading the latest Gabaldon book I haven't been reading much else.  On the back burner are "The Untold Story of Milk" by Ron Schmid, M.D., a book that discusses the benefits of raw milk and the history of pasteurization.  I just figure that if I'm going to get a milk cow and possibly consume raw milk (still on the fence!) I should know a little more about it.  Also waiting to be read is the book "Once a Month Cooking" by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg.  I'm really interested in beginning this process, possibly as early as September, but more than likely it will be October.  I'll keep you posted!  Finally, I'd like to be reading "Five Love Languages of Children" by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell.  I gained a lot from the original Five Love Languages, so I thought I'd see what I could learn about my kids as well.







5 comments:

  1. Hi I noticed you have Last child in the woods listed. What a great book eh?
    I also highly recommend Barbara Kingsolver. She has 2 fiction books that are great...Poisonwood Bible and Prodigal Summer. I have re-read those countless times!
    Her best book is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
    I highly recommend it. It's about living a full year off local foods. Kinda like 100 mile diet ( which I noticed you have read too) but it's more anectdotal and very inspiring! Sounds righ up your alley ( as it was with me!!lol)
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I didn't notice that she wrote all those books! I've read Posonwood Bible, but not the other non-fiction. And I have heard of animal, vegetable, miracle - I may have even checked it out then just didn't have time to read it (it was summertime). Will try again this fall! Thanks for the suggestions - and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say, I totally agree with you about the Outlander series...I love them! I have Echo in the Bone waiting for me. They are can't put down books for sure!

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexis, I found the two books previous to Echo in the Bone a little disappointing, but this one was great! Set aside some time for it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you have me interested. I'll check out Outlander.

    ReplyDelete