Thursday, February 10, 2011

Booking It: The Happiness Project



The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin is the first book on the Elevens List put out by Life As Mom for the 2011 "Book Club".  It was a great read!  Easy to follow, interesting, and thought-provoking.  One thing I really noticed was how much I identify with the author!  She and I have a lot of the same hang ups and it was a delight to see myself in the pages - there were some great ideas there, too.

I'm a strong believer in creating your own day.  It's all about your own frame of mind.  If you decide to be happy that day, you can be.  If you don't purposely pursue it, it might not happen.  Granted, I've had an extremely blessed life.  It's not without it's problems and of course, not perfect (is there such a thing!), but I've had the extreme good fortune to be born in an affluent country to loving parents, to grow up with a lot of happy memories and a solid foundation on which to go out on my own, fall in love, get married and start my own family.  I'm the first to admit that I'm living a life many people would envy.  But this book was not intended as therapy to those facing hardship, mental illness or extreme circumstances.  This book was written for people like me who've been dealt a pretty lucky hand.  The fact that the author brings this point up many times in her book made me feel more comfortable with the idea of not only shaping your day with the power of positive thinking, but shaping your life with power of positive actions.  Deliberately consider your life, what makes you happy and try to fit the two together.  Why is that such a tough concept?

I enjoyed reading this book, I recommend it to anyone out there who's looking for just a little bit more, a deliberate way to enjoy every minute of this beautiful world!  I'm linking this post to Life As Mom's "book club" - check out what other's thought of this book and find out how to join in the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment